Choose your settings
Choose your language

Homeowners insurance

Choose the coverage that suits you and insure your home against the most common types of losses such as those involving fire, theft and water damage.

Get a quote


Get an online quote and then give us a call to purchase your insurance.

Get a quote

With a local Desjardins Agent

For personalized advice and coverage tailored to your needs, work with a Desjardins Agent.

How to choose home insurance coverage

First things first! You need to know the value of the property you want to insure and determine your insurance needs.

Determine the value of your house and belongings

This ensures that your house and its contents are adequately insured in the event of loss or damage. It's easy to underestimate the value of everything you own, so don't skip this step!

Make a list of your belongings

Keep the receipts of your high-value belongings and take pictures of them. Update your list regularly and keep it somewhere safe from any potential damage or loss.

To get started, use the Insurance Bureau of Canada's Personal Property Inventory External link. Opens in a new tab. form.

Assess your home's value

This isn't the price you paid for your house or the municipal evaluation. It's how much it would cost to rebuild your house today if it was destroyed. Don't hesitate to ask a real estate appraiser for help.

Determine what coverage you need

We're here to walk you through the process, from start to finish. You can start by answering the following questions. They can help you identify your coverage needs.

Questions you should answer before choosing your coverage
  • How much could you pay out of pocket in the event of a claim? This will help you determine if you should opt for a higher deductible.
  • Do you have jewellery or works of art whose value exceeds the maximum amount covered in the event of loss? If so, you might want additional coverage, also known as an endorsement or floater insurance.
  • Are you renting out your house? Do you work from home? Do you have a pool or hot tub? Do you have an oil-based heating system? All of these things affect the type of coverage you need.
  • Should you get additional water damage coverage? Water damage is the most common cause of home insurance claim.

What's covered by our all-risk home insurance

Our homeowners insurance covers the most common types of losses (for example, claims involving fire, theft, vandalism, accidental water leak and damage to your belongings). It also provides liability coverage for bodily injury or property damage you may unintentionally cause to another person.

With our optional coverages, you can supplement your home insurance to meet your specific needs.

Select the type of coverage you want or scroll down to find out more.

Included coverages



This insurance covers you for unintentional bodily injury or property damage that you cause to a person who doesn't live with you, anywhere in the world.

It also covers family members who live with you.


Liability insurance covers claims against you for incidents like these.

  • A fire breaks out in your home and spreads to your neighbours’ homes
  • A visitor slips on icy stairs going into your home and breaks their leg
  • Your dog bites a passerby and injures them
What coverage amount to get?
  • Minimum we offer: $1 million
  • For added peace of mind: $2 million
  • Maximum we offer: $5 million

Contact us to to find out what amount is best for you.

Fire, theft and vandalism


Your house and belongings are covered in case of damage caused by fire, smoke and forest fires, as well as theft and vandalism.


  • If your house is burglarized or vandalized while you’re on vacation, we cover the cost of repairing or replacing your belongings
  • If a chimney fire causes your house to go up in flames, we pay to repair or replace your damaged property
If you have to temporarily relocate during repairs

If you have to make alternative living arrangements during repairs, your additional living expenses, like hotel costs, are also covered.

Help prevent house fires with these safety devices

More than half of residential fires are caused by human error. More than a quarter start in the kitchen 1 . The following safety equipment can help reduce the risk:

  • Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Install them on every floor in your home. Check the batteries regularly. A good way to remember is to do it when we move the clocks, in March and November.
  • A fire extinguisher. Keep one in the kitchen where anyone can reach it.



This insurance covers:

  • Your house and its temporary or permanent structures, like fences and carports
  • Building materials and supplies used for renovations and repairs on your premises


A heavy wooden shelf poorly secured to the wall falls and damages your living room wall. We cover the repair or replacement cost of your living room wall.

Accidental water damage


Your basic policy can cover some accidental events, as long as they're sudden and don't happen repeatedly, such as:

  • Damage caused by the breakage of your washing machine hose
  • Damage caused by a leak from your water heater, as long as it wasn't excluded from your insurance policy because it was too old
Prevent accidental water leaks
  • Regularly inspect your washer and dishwasher hoses and replace them as soon as you see any wear and tear
  • Replace your water heater every 12 years or sooner and consider installing a system that shuts off the water supply if it detects leaks

Tornadoes, lightning, freezing rain, hail and wind


Your home is protected from damage caused by tornadoes, lightning, freezing rain, hail and wind.


During a windstorm, a branch smashes through one of your windows. We cover its replacement cost.


Damage to your trees, plants or lawn isn't covered if caused by a windstorm or hailstorm.

Fire, smoke or explosion after an earthquake


Endorsement 22b

This coverage protects against damage caused by fires, smoke or explosions caused by an earthquake or other ground movements that may occur after, such as avalanches, landslides or subsidence.


If an earthquake damages your house's electrical system and causes a fire, damaging your house and belongings, we cover the cost of repairing or replacing them.

Furniture and belongings


This insurance covers your belongings and furniture up to the amount specified in your policy.


Your bookcase wasn't installed correctly, and it comes crashing down onto your TV and speakers. Your insurance will cover the cost of repairing or replacing these items.

If you have valuable items

There may be limits on the amounts you can claim for certain items, such as jewellery, bikes and works of art. Ask about the limits specific to your policy and, if need be, get additional coverage for the full value of these items.

Detached private structures (garages, sheds, etc.)


This coverage insures structures that are located on the premises but not attached to your home.


If damage is caused to your garage or shed, and it's separate from your home, we cover it.

Students away from premises


If your child is a full-time student and your dependent, their belongings are covered by your home insurance.


Your child is moving to a student residence. Your child's belongings, such as their computer, clothes and furniture, are covered by your policy during their studies.

Optional coverages

Ground water and sewer backup


Endorsement 16c

This coverage offers protection against sudden and accidental damage caused by:

  • Water leaks, overflows or backups from places like sewers and septic tanks
  • Water coming from, for example, the subsoil drainage pipe and seeping through basement windows, doors or floors


After a heavy downpour, water has accumulated and seeped through the foundation and a basement window. We cover the replacement, repair or cleanup costs, up to the amount specified in your policy.



Endorsement 16d

This insurance covers sudden and accidental damage caused by flooding, meaning the rising or overflow of a body or stream of water, if the water reaches the surface of the ground of the insured premises.


Your belongings in the basement are damaged by flood water. We cover the cost of repairing or replacing them, up to the amount indicated in your policy.

If you have to temporarily relocate during repairs

If you have to make alternative living arrangements during repairs, your additional living expenses, like hotel costs, are also covered.

Rain, snow or sleet


Endorsement 42

This insurance covers sudden and accidental damage caused by above ground water.

These events occur when:

  • Rain or snow seeps through walls, roofs, doors or windows
  • Water leaks, backs up or overflows from gutters or downspouts
  • The weight of ice, snow or wet snow is too heavy for your house, causing cracks in the roof


Ice has built up on the edge of your roof. Water has accumulated behind these buildups and seeped in through the ceiling. We cover the damage, up to the amount specified in your policy.

Water service pipe breakage


Endorsement 51

This covers the cost of tearing out and restoring the insured premises to allow repairs to the water service pipe.


Your water service pipe is leaking, and you have to change it. The cost of tearing up your yard to access the pipe and then restoring your yard is covered, up to the amount specified in your policy. These repairs are considered preventative maintenance for your property.



Endorsement 22a

This insurance covers damage caused by:

  • Earthquakes
  • Other ground movement that might be caused by an earthquake, like avalanches, landslides or subsidence


If an earthquake causes damage to your home's foundation, we cover the cost of repairs.

Tips to prevent earthquake damage
  • Attach the water tank with adjustable ratchet straps held to the wall with screw eyes
  • Install safety films on your windows to prevent them from shattering
  • Install clasps on cabinet doors to ensure they remain closed

Theft or vandalism during construction


Endorsement 10

This coverage protects your home against theft and vandalism while it's under construction.


If your house is under construction and building materials are stolen from the premises overnight, we cover their replacement.

Pool and hot tub


Endorsements 33a and 33b

These coverages insure your inground, semi-inground or above-ground swimming pool or hot tub in case of damage caused by, for example, freezing temperatures, heavy ice or the weight of snow.

Equipment, accessories and patios or decks that lead directly to your pool or hot tub are also insured, as long as they're not attached to your home.


Snow and ice damaged your above-ground pool's structure and liner. We cover the cost of repairs within the terms of your policy.

Home-based businesses and short-term rentals


This insurance covers certain commercial or professional activities taking place on your property, such as those of a small home-based business, a self-employed worker, or the short-term rental of your house, as long as they're mentioned on your policy's Coverage Summary.


If you rent out your house on a short-term rental platform, we cover damage within the terms of your policy.

Escape of fuel oil (heating oil)


Endorsements 46b and 46c

There are 2 separate coverages that cover sudden and accidental fuel oil leaks or spills:

  • One covers your belongings and soil decontamination
  • The other covers your liability for unintentional damage caused to a third party
Are you eligible for these coverages?

Before you call us to add these coverages to your policy, you should answer the following questions.

  • What is your tank's manufacturing date?
  • What is it made of?
  • Is the supply line buried under a concrete floor?
  • Is your tank outside? If so, what kind of base is it sitting on (for example, concrete, asphalt or wood)?
Prevent fuel oil leaks

Fuel oil is a major fire risk and can cause serious environmental damage. That's why you should have your heating oil tank inspected every year.

Here are the warning signs of a fuel oil leak:

  • Dents on your tank
  • Pinched lines
  • Connectors in poor condition
  • Damaged oil-level indicator
  • Cracked welds
  • Damaged support base
  • Rust, seepage, damp areas or odours
Good to know

To accelerate greenhouse gas reductions, changes are being made to Quebec’s regulatory measures with respect to installing or replacing oil-fired heating appliances. Learn more about the regulatory measures External link (in French only).


Did you know?

Generally speaking, insurance companies don't cover any of the following situations.

Repeated water seepage or leaks


Damage caused by repeated or continuous water seepage or leaks isn't covered.


Your upstairs toilet has been leaking for several months, so now you have to replace the living room ceiling just below it. These repairs aren't covered because the damage occurred gradually due to a repeated, continuous water leak.

Landslides, subsidence and other events


Damage caused by avalanches, landslides, subsidence or soil erosion isn't covered unless those events were caused by an earthquake and you have Earthquake coverage (Endorsement 22a).

Damage caused by tidal waves or tsunamis is never covered.

Defects, deterioration, and wear and tear


Defects, wear and tear, and gradual deterioration aren't covered by your insurance policy.


Your 10-year-old refrigerator stops working. The cost of repair or replacement isn't covered.

Damage caused by certain insects and animals


Damage caused by vermin, insects, birds, rodents, raccoons or bats isn't covered by your home insurance.


Mice get into your house and damage your furniture. We don't cover its repair or replacement.

Get a home insurance quote

Request a quote online to get a price. Then, call us to purchase your insurance.


Get an online quote and then give us a call to purchase your insurance.

Get a quote

With a Desjardins Agent

For personalized advice and coverage tailored to your needs, work with a Desjardins Agent.

Want to insure your cottage?

How often you use your secondary residence will help you determine your insurance needs.

Do you live in a mobile home?

Protect your mobile home and belongings with home insurance designed for your specific needs. Call us to find out which coverage best meets your needs.

How to save on your home insurance

One way to lower your insurance price is to take advantage of our Double Contract discount by bundling your home and auto insurance 2 .

Protect your home with Alert

Help keep your home safe with the AlertTM program, which includes the DIY home security system by Roost®.  And save up to 10% on your home insurance when you also subscribe to Roost's monitoring service. 


Do I have to get home insurance if I'm a homeowner?

If you have a mortgage, the financial institution you're dealing with will probably require you to take out adequate home insurance.

However, unlike auto insurance, you aren't required by law to get home insurance. Keep in mind, though, that without home insurance, you might have to pay thousands of dollars following damage or loss, such as a fire, flood or theft. Don't run the risk of losing everything you've acquired over the years.

How is my home insurance premium calculated?

Several factors affect the cost of your home insurance. Here are some examples:

  • Building characteristics (for example, materials, location, heating system)
  • The deductible, meaning the amount you have to pay in the event of a claim
  • Proximity to a fire hydrant and fire station
  • The coverage you chose
  • The value of the items insured
  • The number and type of your previous claims
How often should I review my home insurance coverage?

You should review your home insurance every year to make sure it still meets your needs. Renovations and upgrades could affect how much insurance you need. Other changes to your situation could also impact your home insurance premium.

Who's covered by my home insurance?

Home insurance covers the belongings and liability (even abroad) for you, your spouse and relatives living on the insured property. It also covers the belongings of your dependent child if they're a full-time student, regardless of where they live.

When should I contact my insurer if I'm renovating my house?

Before you get started, contact your insurer. By asking you a few key questions, they'll be able to determine whether your current policy provides the right amount of coverage. For example, will your house be unoccupied during the work? Will these renovations significantly increase the value of your home?

Does my home insurance cover damage caused by water leaking in my ceiling, walls or basement?

It depends on which coverages you add to your insurance policy.

All-risk insurance can cover some accidental events, as long as they're sudden and don't happen repeatedly, such as if the hose of your washing machine suddenly breaks. However, you need to add optional coverage if you want to be covered for other types of water damage, like sewer backups or floods.

We offer 4 optional coverages:

  • Ground water and sewer backup
  • Flood
  • Rain, snow or sleet
  • Water service pipe breakage

To learn more about these coverage options and choose the ones you need, see Water damage insurance.

Contact us

Client Relations Centre

Monday to Friday: 8 AM to 8 PM
Saturday: 8 AM to 4 PM 

1-888-277-8726 This link will launch your default phone software.

Damage insurance products are underwritten and distributed by Desjardins General Insurance Inc., provider of automobile, property and business insurance.
The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only. The terms and conditions of the coverages described are set out in the insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, exclusions and limitations may apply. Savings and discounts are based on each client's individual profile and are subject to eligibility conditions. Rates and discounts are subject to change without notice. Alert TM is a trademark of Desjardins General Insurance Group Inc., used under licence. The Roost word mark and logo are trademarks of Roost, Inc., and have been registered in the United States and in certain other jurisdictions. Statistics about fires (page in French only) External link., 2019. Homeowners can save up to 10% and tenants and condo owners, up to 15%.