Car insurance FAQ
Questions about car insurance? Find answers in our FAQ, whether you want to know more about how to save on insurance and get a lower rate, what's legally required or how to cancel your policy.
What's your question about?
The easiest way to cancel your car insurance policy is to call us at 1-888-277-8726 Customer service phone number for car, home and RV insurance. This link opens your phone app..
Learn more about cancelling your insurance.
No. This is just an update to your policy if you're:
- Removing one of your vehicles
- Replacing a vehicle with a different one
- Storing a vehicle
You can make this kind of change using our Online Services or by calling a damage insurance agent.
If you have only one vehicle on your policy, and you'd like to remove it because you've started using public transportation, for example, please contact us at 1-888-277-8726 This link will launch your default phone software.
Yes. You might consider putting your car insurance on hold for different reasons:
- You have an illness or injury that prevents you from driving.
- Your car is waiting for repairs.
- Your driver's licence has been suspended.
- You plan to store your car for the winter
- You're going on a long trip and leaving your car at home.
We're here to help. Give us a call at 1-888-277-8726 Customer service phone number for car, home and RV insurance. This link opens your phone app. We can discuss whether this option is right for you and your situation.
Car insurance is going up in Canada, but there are still ways you can lower your premium:
- Sign up for the Ajusto® program if you're a safe driver. It's free, and you'll automatically save 10% for the first 6 months. You could even lower your premium by up to 25% afterwards. Did you know that nearly 90% of our clients signed up for Ajusto have reduced or maintained their car insurance premium?1
- Insure more than one vehicle with us or bundle your home and car insurance to help save even more.
- Have a tracking system installed if your car's make and model is popular with thieves.
- Update your kilometer usage and reassess how much you actually drive. If it's lower than the number you gave us, let us know and you might pay less for your premium.
For even more ideas, here are 8 tips to lower your car insurance premium.
Contact us if you have any questions about your premium or renewal. We're here to help find a solution that's right for you.
Yes, you could save money if you increase the deductible for these 2 coverages:
Generally speaking, the higher your deductible, the lower your car insurance premium. Just make sure you can afford to pay the higher deductible in the event of a claim.
Thinking about changing your deductible? Feel free to contact us. Renewal is also a great time to review your options.
Not at all. The Regulation respecting the use of tires specifically designed for winter driving has no impact on your car insurance. That being said, we’d like to remind you that Quebec’s Highway Safety Code requires you to have winter tires on your car between December 1 and March 15. If you don’t, you could be fined up to $300.
To learn more, you can read more about Quebec winter tire requirements External link., which are outlined in the Highway Safety Code.
By law, you're required to have car insurance. If you're found driving without insurance in Canada, you'll be charged.
More questions about car insurance
As a policyholder, you are responsible for informing your insurer of any changes made to your vehicle or how it is used. This includes things like vehicle modifications, changes in vehicle use (for example, commercial use), the addition of newly licensed drivers to your household and a change of address.
A vehicle modification includes:
- Performance-related modifications, such as upgrading the engine
- Electronic modifications, such as upgrading the stereo
- Cosmetic modifications, such as a new paint job
Commercial use means any change in use where the insured vehicle is now used for commercial purposes. For example, if you started ridesharing or deliveries using your personal vehicle, this would be considered commercial use.
You should always notify your insurer when any change is made to your vehicle. The risk will be re-evaluated and may result in a premium adjustment or even the cancellation of your policy. If you make any of the changes described above but don’t inform your insurer, the insurer can decide to deny your claim, and may even cancel or void your policy.
Note: If you need to modify your vehicle to accommodate a medical condition, you should still notify your insurer.
You can use Online Services to add a vehicle to your auto insurance policy. It's a quick and easy way to keep your auto insurance up to date.
To add a vehicle to your Desjardins auto insurance policy, follow these steps:
- Log in to your account
- Select the Vehicle section
- Choose Add a vehicle
- Enter the information required and save
Looking for more about car insurance?
Find out more about our car insurance coverage, savings and discounts, the claims process and managing your policy online.
Didn't find what you're looking for?
We're here to help.
Client Relations Centre
Monday to Friday: 8 AM to 8 PM
Saturday: 8 AM to 4 PM
Damage insurance products are underwritten and distributed by Desjardins General Insurance Incorporated provider of automobile, property and business insurance.,
The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only. The terms and conditions of the coverages described are set out in the insurance policy, which always prevails. Some conditions, exclusions and limitations may apply.
Savings and discounts are based on each client's individual profile and are subject to eligibility conditions. They are subject to change without notice.
Ajusto® is a registered trademark of Desjardins General Insurance Incorporated. Ajusto is underwritten by Desjardins General Insurance Incorporated.
The Ajusto enrolment discount and personalized premium do not apply to certain endorsements or additional coverages.
1. Compared to the initial premium, before the 10% enrollment discount for the first 6 months was applied. Based on the scores of all clients signed up for the most recent Ajusto program offered through the insurer subsidiaries of Desjardins General Insurance Group Incorporated (as at September 5, 2023).