Home and car insurance renewal
Is your insurance renewing soon? We’re here to help you understand the factors affecting your premium and get the right coverages at the best price possible.
How to renew your insurance in 4 steps
1. Read your renewal notice
Expect a letter or email from us about 60 days before your home or car insurance policy expires.
If you've opted to go Paper-Free, you can view your renewal policy in Online Services.
2. Look over your new insurance policy
Log in to your online account to see your insurance policy. You can also use your Desjardins Insurance Home-Auto app. Look for Renewal – Insurance policy (PDF).
If needed, you can update your personal information under Profile in Online Services.
3. Re-think your insurance needs
- Have my circumstances changed? You may have put a new roof on your house, or your teen has started driving your car, for example.
10 questions to ask about car insurance, 973 KB
10 questions to ask about home insurance, 212 KB
- Do I need to remove or add coverage?
- Am I open to adjusting my deductibles to reduce my premium?
4. Renew or change your insurance policy
Your circumstances haven't changed?
You don't need to contact us if you have no changes to make.
Paying by pre-authorized payments? Your new pre-authorized payments will continue as before.
Paying by cheque? Send your payment before the due date indicated on your policy.
What factors affect your home and car insurance rates?
Chances are, your premiums aren't the same as last year, and you're not alone. Insurance costs have generally changed across the country. Let's look at what affects your insurance premiums.
General factors affecting premiums
- More frequent accidents
- Higher rate of car theft
- Higher costs of parts and labour
- Expensive technology, such as heated side mirrors with blind spot detection
- Shortage of parts and labour
- Claims history
- Committing a traffic violation
- Driving more
- Using your car for business purposes
- Removing your car from storage
- Adding a driver to your policy
General factors affecting premiums
- More frequent and costly claims
- More extreme-weather claims
- Increase in building material costs
- Labour shortages and higher labour costs
- Claims history
- Making renovations or repairs
- Having a new or aging roof
- Installing a new pool or outdoor hot tub
How to reduce your home and auto insurance costs
We're here to help you get a premium that makes sense for you. Think about these solutions:
- Letting us take care of all your coverage needs, and:
- Combining your home and auto insurance
- Adding another vehicle (2nd car, motorcycle or RV)
- Improving your driving habits with the Ajusto® program. With the enrolment discount, you save 10% on your car insurance for the first 6 months.1
- Installing the home security system by Roost® as part of the AlertTM program. You save up to 10% on your home insurance.2
- Adjusting your deductible amounts.
Don't hesitate to contact us for personalized advice.
Discounts and tips to reduce your premiums
More great reasons to be a Desjardins member
Frequently asked questions
Your insurance policy generally renews every year; this means your vehicle or home is always covered. You only need to contact us if you would like to make a change.
If you cancel after the policy's renewal effective date, you may have to pay a fee. But if you want to cancel your insurance on the renewal date—and you let us know on or before that date—you won't be charged any fees.
Email us through your Online Services form and tell us what you'd like to change in your policy.
Damage insurance products are underwritten and distributed by Desjardins General Insurance Inc., provider of automobile, property and business insurance.
The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only.
Certain conditions, exclusions and limitations may apply.
Savings and discounts are based on each client's individual profile and are subject to eligibility conditions. Rates and discounts are subject to change without notice.
Ajusto® is a registered trademark of Desjardins General Insurance Inc.
The Roost word mark and logo are trademarks of Roost, Inc., and have been registered in the United States and in certain other jurisdictions.
AlertTM is a trademark of Desjardins General Insurance Group Inc., used under licence.
BONUSDOLLARS® is a registered trademark of the Fédération des caisses Desjardins du Québec.
- Ajusto is underwritten by Desjardins General Insurance Inc. The Ajusto enrolment discount and personalized premium do not apply to certain endorsements or additional coverages.
- The home security system offered by Roost, Inc. is designed to be used with the Desjardins Insurance Home-Auto app. This discount will be applied automatically to your Desjardins home insurance policy and will remain in effect if:
- You have a home insurance policy with us and sync it with the Desjardins Insurance Home-Auto app.
- You install the Roost security system devices and pair them with the smart base and the app (note that only 1 of the 3 door and window contacts is required to get the discount, but installing all 3 is recommended).
- You complete the initial smoke alarm listener test.
- You have an ongoing subscription to Roost's professional monitoring service.
The discount will be deactivated if any of these situations change.