Making sure farmers have the tools they need
We have been supporting the inclusive finance sector in rural areas around the world for 50 years. With a resilient agri-food system and increased food security, underprivileged populations are in a better position to improve their living conditions and better cope with the climate crisis.
Transformation of agri-food systems
Farming is the main source of income for 80% of the world's poor. Because our approach touches on the entire agri-food value chain, we create wealth and financial empowerment for agricultural entrepreneurs.
Desjardins International Development (DID) teams draw on their extensive agricultural financing expertise to carry out large-scale projects to restructure financial systems and better meet the needs of producers in emerging countries. Our interventions help reduce poverty, improve nutrition, curb hunger and address climate change.
An inspiring model for Colombia
Making sure the agricultural sector is more inclusive, efficient and safe
In response to the growing demand for food products around the world, we're focused on building strong agri-food systems based on local production.
Improving access to agricultural financing and financial services in rural areas
- Develop innovative financial products adapted to an agricultural clientele
- Bolster the financial empowerment of clienteles considered more at risk, including women, youth and small-scale agricultural producers
- Promote the financial inclusion of farmers by setting up guarantee funds for agricultural loans
- Implement inclusive digital financial solutions
Building a sustainable agri-food system
- Encourage farmers to form organizations or associations for better integration
- Provide resources and technologies in line with sustainable development goals
- Enable farmers to obtain fair prices for their crops
- Help develop agricultural policies that support the agri-food system
Promoting rural entrepreneurship and innovation in agriculture
- Expand financial education program
- Facilitate access to material and financial resources
- Provide farm financing tailored to local needs
- Support agricultural business owners with their innovative projects
Developing climate-smart agriculture
- Promote new technologies adapted to the changing climate
- Increase financial institutions' ability to offer financing based on sustainable best practices
- Promote crop diversification, soil revitalization, ecological agriculture and family gardens
- Support the marketing of local products
Food security and agricultural development
A well-functioning agri-food system is also one that addresses the root causes of poverty and hunger. Food insecurity particularly affects rural women and youth, who make up a large proportion of the agricultural workforce, yet lack control over resources.
By strengthening food systems around local production, our interventions contribute to shortening and diversifying food chains, providing better access to healthy and fresh food, revitalizing communities and reducing food waste.
By effecting a transformation that is economically, socially and environmentally sustainable, the agricultural sector in developing countries will be able to ensure better nutrition, alleviate hunger and reduce poverty.
Projects supporting inclusive finance in rural areas
AVETI project in Haiti
Promote the improvement of living conditions through sustainable practices
This project aims to sustainably increase the value of cacao, yam and other crops mainly overseen by women to ensure their financial empowerment and food security for their families.
FARM project in Mali
Structuring the agricultural financial sector
Now completed, the Agricultural and Rural Financing in Mali (FARM) project strengthened the capacity of financial institutions and agricultural production to increase food security.