Quebec and Ontario Economic News
Quebec: Real GDP Declines 0.1% in April
July 26, 2022
Summary of the publication
- Real GDP declined for the first time since September 2021, edging down 0.1% in April after surging in previous months.
- Goods output fell by 0.6% in April after a solid 0.9% gain in March. April’s decline was mainly due to the construction (-1.4%) and utilities (-1.8%) sectors.
- After rebounding sharply, partly thanks to the gradual lifting of public health restrictions, the services-producing sector slowed, rising just 0.1% in April.
- The accommodation and food services sector continued to expand—albeit much more slowly—rising 0.6% in April after gaining 9.0% in March. The arts, entertainment and recreation sector increased 6.3% in April after surging 21.0% in March.
- In the first four months of 2022, real GDP was up 4.2% in Quebec compared to 4.0% in Canada overall.
Read the publication
See the full publication in PDF.
Contact our economists
Elsewhere in Canada:
1-866-866-7000 This link will launch your default phone software.