Open an account online in Canada
Our welcome offer for newcomers
Our welcome offer for newcomers
This offer is for you if you meet the following 3 criteria:
- You're 18 or older.
- You're not yet a Desjardins member or have been a member for less than a year.
You're a permanent resident who has been living in Canada for 3 years or less.
You're a temporary worker with a work permit that extends beyond 8 months.
Everyday account with a free transaction plan and unlimited transactions for 2 years after your account is opened
A credit card
Free legal assistance
More products and services
- Visitors to Canada Insurance
6– Healthcare and emergency services in case of accident or illness
- Potential recognition of your previous driving experience in your country of origin when getting an auto insurance quote
- International money transfers online of up to $5,000 per day
- Insurance products for your protection, including home and auto insurance, life, health and disability insurance, as well as credit and travel insurance.
- Effective support to help you prepare for your move and settle in once you arrive, such as useful tips and products and services designed for you
Do you have any questions?
Moving to a new country comes with a load of questions. Our multilingual team is here to help you.
Apply to open an account from abroad
Before filling out the form, you must:
- Have a valid passport
- Know your future address or the postal code of your employer in Canada
- Plan to arrive within 12 months of applying
Open your account in 3 steps
Fill out the online form.
Read through the welcome email that you'll receive within 24 to 48 hours following confirmation. It outlines what to do next and includes your account information. You’ll need this information if you want to make 1 money transfer for a fee before you leave
Make an appointment 2 weeks before you leave to finish setting up your account once you arrive in Canada. Bring the required documents to your appointment to confirm your identity and pick up your debit card if you applied for one.
Learn more about our services and benefits
The Desjardins difference
Our cooperative nature sets us apart from other financial institutions. We're defined by our values: money should be at the service of human development, personal commitment, democratic action, integrity and rigour, and intercooperation.
To help you with your departure
We have agreements with financial institutions abroad to make your transition to Desjardins even smoother.
See our agreements with international partners
- See the agreement with Banque Populaire du Maroc (site in French only) External link.
- See the agreement with Crédit Mutuel in France (site in French only) External link.
- See the agreement with Crédit Industriel et Commercial (site in French only) External link.
- See the agreement with Crédit Mutuel Antilles-Guyane (site in French only) External link.
Tackle your project head on
Preparing to live in Canada
Browse through a multitude of resources containing useful information to plan your move and help you settle in.
Coming to study in Canada
Take a look at our student offer with everything you'll need while you study here.
Frequently asked questions
- Plan: The Unlimited plan costs $15.95 per month once the offer expires (2 years after you open your account). You can keep the plan or choose another. We waive the monthly fees if you maintain the required minimum monthly balance ($4,000 for the Unlimited plan).
Learn more about our plans
- Credit card: No impact on credit cards.
- Legal assistance: You no longer have access to free legal assistance once the welcome offer expires.
Yes. Once you've completed your application to open an account, you can make only 1 international money transfer to your Desjardins account from abroad
Fees for transferring money to your Desjardins account
Contact your financial institution in your home country with fee-related questions and to find out what the exchange rates are for transfers or international money transfers.
Fees for receiving money in your Desjardins account
- Transfers under CAN$50: free
- Transfers over CAN$50: CAN$15