- Funds 101
- Tips and advice
- Online services
- Responsible Investing
- About Desjardins Funds
Responsible Investing (RI) means integrating environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into investment selection and management over a long-term horizon in order to finance companies that contribute to sustainable development.
Examples of elements considered:
- Climate change
- Protection of biodiversity
- Water management
- Sustainability of resources
- Pursuit of human rights
- Working conditions
- Composition of boards of directors
- Executive compensation
- Shareholders’ rights
Learn more about responsible investing at Desjardins
Choosing RI, a profitable choice!
RI lets you help change the world… without sacrificing returns.
In fact, companies that are mindful of ESG issues are better equipped to manage the risks that arise from society’s present and future challenges.
As the chart illustrates, the socially responsible index (The Jantzi Social Index® ) performs just as well as – if not better than – The S&P/TSX 60 Index , which represents leading companies in leading industries in Canada.
Concrete results for the corporation
Abiding by the principles of responsible investment, the SocieTerra Funds and Portfolios use a shareholder engagement strategy to influence change in the companies in which you’ve invested your money.
These investments not only offer a potential return that’s as attractive as—and sometimes higher than—the return on traditional investments, they also give you the power to use your money as a driver for change.
On your behalf, we:
- Encourage companies to improve their practices
- Table shareholder proposals at general meetings
- Vote at general meetings to influence corporate decisions
Put your money towards building a better world.
Spotlight on the desjardins societerra environement fund's results **
With the Desjardins SocieTerra Environment Fund, you’re investing in successful companies recognized for their environmental responsibility.
A TRANSPARENT INVESTMENT!
Desjardins is one of the first financial institutions in the world to offer investors an environmental approach to evaluating their investment. This measure is calculated using data from an independent firm, and compares the environmental impact of companies held in the fund to the environmental impact of similar companies.
Desjardins – A pioneer in responsible investing
Desjardins, leader in responsible investing (RI) in Canada.
By purchasing SocieTerra Funds and Portfolios, you’re choosing the knowledge and trust of the most experienced responsible investment fund managers in Canada, as the following achievements show:
- 1990: launch of the Desjardins Environment Fund
- 2009: launch of the SocieTerra Portfolios
- 2016: announcement of $2 billion in assets under management in Desjardins Funds RI products
- 2016: launch of the first Canada Green Bonds Fund, the Desjardins Environmental Bond Fund
Discover our product mix
** Results as at December 31, 2017, calculated using data from Trucost, an independent environmental data firm. Comparison between the environmental impact of companies with securities held in the Desjardins SocieTerra Environment Fund and the impact of companies included in its reference index as at December 31, 2016. The data from Trucost cover respectively 100% and 99% of the securities making up the Fund and reference index. Trucost takes into account greenhouse gas emissions, water consumption, waste management, natural resource dependency, and air, land and water pollution.
- The Jantzi Social Index® (JSI) a socially screened, market capitalization-weighted common stock index modelled on the S&P/TSX 60 Index, consisting of 60 Canadian companies that pass a set of broadly based environmental, social and governance rating criteria. | Source: www.sustainalytics.com
- The S&P/TSX 60 Index is designed to represent leading companies in leading industries. Its 60 stocks make it ideal for coverage of companies with large market capitalizations and a cost-efficient way to achieve Canadian equity exposure. The S&P/TSX 60 Index also represents the Canadian component of Standard & Poor’s flagship S&P Global 1200 Index. | Source: www.tmxmoney.com
- From 2000 to 2015, the socially responsible Jantzi Social Index® (JSI), outperformed the S&P/TSX 60. The JSI is a socially screened, market capitalization-weighted common stock index modelled on the S&P/TSX 60, consisting of 60 Canadian companies that pass a set of broadly based environmental, social, and governance rating criteria. The S&P/TSX 60 Index is designed to represent leading companies in Canada’s key industries.