Government Guaranteed Student Loan

Government Guaranteed Student Loan

Available to Quebec residents

You could benefit from government financial assistance if you're a full-time or part-time vocational, CEGEP or university student.

  • Apply online.
  • Opt for a repayment solution tailored to your situation.
Get more information about Government Guaranteed Student Loan.

The Aide financière aux études department of the Ministère de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur will provide you with financial assistance if you are enrolled as a full-time CEGEP, college, university or vocational student.

Student aid is calculated on the basis of allowable expenses, your financial contribution to your studies and that of your spouse or parents.

If you aren't eligible

Desjardins offers student lines of credit that could help you out while you're a student.

See Student Advantage Line of Credit.


  • Go to the AFE website and click Online Services to access your profile.
  • When using online services for the first time, you have to choose a password.
  • Once the form is completed, you'll be told which documents to provide, depending on your situation.

Apply online - External link. This link will open in a new window.

By mail

Fill out the financial aid application and mail it to the AFE.

Get the financial assistance application - External link. This link will open in a new window.

  1. Once your application has been processed, the AFE will let you know how much you've been approved for and how payments will work.
  2. Shortly after, you'll receive a Guarantee Certificate and Loan Agreement. You'll have to send us these documents so we can deposit the money into your account.

Send us your Guarantee Certificate and Loan Agreement - This link will open in a new window.

Speed things up

You have to be a Desjardins member for us to make your loan money available to you.

You must be the sole account holder. If your loan money has to be deposited to a joint account or to a parent's account in your name, there will be a delay for verification purposes.

Make an appointment to open an account - This link will open in a new window.

Is your school in a different city from your caisse?

No problem! You can go to a caisse near your school and still do business with your original caisse through them.

Learn more about the Deferred Payment Plan, interest, income taxes, as well as strategies for paying back your loan.

Pay off your student loan

Call the Desjardins Group Student Advisory Centre experts for information. They'll answer your questions about:

  • loan disbursement and management
  • payment terms
  • Deferred payment program
  • any other loan products or service

Contact the Desjardins Group Student Advisory Centre

Are you applying for the first time?

To make sure you don't forget anything, see Applying for financial assistance - External link. This link will open in a new window. on the AFE website.

Do you live in Ontario?

Go to the Ontario Student Assistance Program - External link. This link will open in a new window. (OSAP) website or call 1-877-672-7411 or 1-888-449-4478.

You can also contact Human Resources Canada at 613-994-1844.

Let's talk

Avoid waiting on hold.

Have us call you when it's convenient.