Planning a prom
Level: High school
Students ages 15 to 17
Areas of learning:
- Career planning and entrepreneurship
- Citizenship and community life
- Environment and consumption
- Plan and carry out a major project
- Track earnings and expenses
- Meet deadlines
- Work cooperatively
You direct students to think about the cooperative project they have participated in and evaluate their involvement in the various prom committees.
Thinking about cooperative work
- At the last organizing committee meeting, before the prom, have a discussion with the students.
- Ask them if they liked serving on the prom committees. Ask them about how the committees worked.
- Assess the degree of involvement in the project and their overall satisfaction after having completed it.
- Discuss the ways of working cooperatively, timeframes, group decisions, committees and tools used throughout the year.
Examples of questions to ask the committee members:
- Was the committee work an experience of sharing and discussion for you? If so, explain why.
- What subjects did you talk about in your discussions with other committee members?
- What did you take away from your experience?