FAQ – Merchant solutions – Point-of-sale payments and financing
They can help you:
- Increase revenues
By offering more payment solutions, customers will be attracted to your business instead of to those of competitors who don't offer them.
- Increase customer satisfaction
Consumers enjoy having a variety of payment methods, as it makes it easier for them to manage their personal finances.
- Lighten the management load
Reduced number of cash transactions makes for faster end-of-the-day balancing, bank reconciliations and day end close.
- Simplify transactions
Deposits are made automatically and you receive a single monthly account statement (Visa, Mastercard and Interac).
- Improve security at your business
More debit and credit card transactions mean less money in the cash drawer.
First of all, point-of-sale terminals should be secured by using the support or the steel wire cable or better yet, a combination of the two. Merchants are encouraged to equip every place of business with at least one terminal that is adapted for use by individuals with limited mobility.
- The secure support helps prevent PIN-pad and terminal theft and also reduces the risk of other types of fraud at the point of sale. The support is equipped with a side-plate to conceal PIN entry, thus providing customers with an added security feature. The support is made up of robust, durable and non-flammable materials. Thanks to the security device, you may remove the terminal from its support for any technical service call.
- The steel wire security cable locking system offers strong protection and may be custom made. The cable gives added handling flexibility for customers while also serving as a deterrent for potential fraudsters. The cable is very sturdy and highly resistant and is secured under the counter via a strong, fixed latch that can be used on any type of surface.
Other best practices also contribute to prevent fraud:
- Learn to recognize suspicious behaviour.
- Know what steps to take when you suspect a fraudulent situation.
- Be wary of unusually high withdrawal amounts (withdrawals with purchase).
- Watch out for purchases made with prepaid cards.
A chargeback occurs when a credit cardholder disputes a transaction made on his or her credit card because proper credit card issuer association (i.e. Visa) acceptance and processing procedures were not followed. The procedure allows the amount of the disputed transactions to be debited from an account while research is done to confirm that they indeed do not belong to the client, and to debit the financial institution (i.e. Desjardins) involved. It is important that proper timeframes and rules regarding disputed transactions be followed by all concerned parties.
Wireless terminals are the ideal payment solution for merchants who need to accept payments anywhere in and around their building (restaurants, lumber yards, garden centres, etc.).
Wireless terminals allow you to:
- Increase operational efficiency. Wireless terminals reduce back-and-forth trips between clients and the cash register.
- Improve customer service quality. Clients pay from where they are.
- Make transactions more secure. Clients keep their credit or debit cards in sight throughout the transaction.
- Have more flexibility. Terminals can be used indoors and outdoors, eliminating the need for extra equipment for businesses with seasonal activities.
- The Entourage i7780 terminal is the perfect payment solution for merchants who need to accept payments anywhere in and around their building. Ideal for restaurants, patios, drive-throughs, big-box stores, garden centres, lumber yards, etc. Thanks to Bluetooth technology, it can be used indoors and outdoors within a range of 100 m from the base unit.
- The Cellular x1000 terminal is the perfect payment solution for merchants who want to accept payments anywhere in the country, from wherever they happen to be, without having to have Internet access or a phone line. The terminal can be used for all kinds of commercial activities and is ideal for special events, deliveries, taxi and limousine services, kiosks, open air markets and fairs, conventions, home services, etc.
Desjardins counter and wireless terminals have a tip option for restaurant transactions. Clients can enter tips as a dollar amount or a percentage of the bill they are paying.
Though you receive the terminal by mail, most Desjardins terminals are installed in your business by technician who also provides free training to help you use your new terminal.
Some terminals (The Cellular x1000 - Bronze Service and Element i5100 terminals) can be installed by merchants in a few simple steps with the help of the installation manual. Desjardins provides technical support to merchants who have a difficult time installing their terminals. Technical support is available at all times. Phone training is also included with terminal installation. Details can be found in the installation guide.
Allow 14 days from the time your merchant file is opened. After your credit is approved and the file opened, the application is forwarded to our business partner who installs the equipment or payment solution.
In over 80% of cases involving Desjardins merchants, technicians arrive within 4 to 6 hours following the call to report an equipment failure. The wait time rarely exceeds 24 hours.
Business Customer Service hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.(EST).
Can I still use my payment terminal for transactions if it is connected to an Internet line and the line goes down?
A telephone backup system is automatically triggered. However, a dial-up (telephone) line must be connected to the terminal to allow you to use the function.
Desjardins Card Services are currently working on converting all equipment to chip card technology. Most of our merchants already use this technology.
In addition to accepting credit and debit card payments, several Desjardins terminals now offer the Desjardins gift-card payment option.
Statements are available on the Ma Station portal the first of the month following your registration for online statements of account. Access to the Ma Station portal is free. You can also use it to manage card payment processing data (transaction reports and online statements of account).
Our new Ready-to-go Plans were designed to meet the needs described by professionals and small business owners. Based on your annual credit volume, the fixed-rate plans allow you to process card payments for as little as $35 a month. The monthly fee for Visa, Mastercard and Interac payments stay the same regardless of the number of transactions processed. In addition, you pay no additional transaction fees. Simply add a payment solution or terminal to your plan for a complete solution to meet your needs.
Ideal complementary solutions:
DePOSiTEL is a simple and affordable phone payment solution for merchants who want to process payments by credit card only. Available for $5 a month, it can help you reduce cash or cheque deposit service charges.
In addition, the Element i5100 terminal is the ideal solution for merchants who want a simple way to better meet their clients' needs. Simple and economical, the terminal accepts credit and debit card payments. It is the most economical Desjardins payment terminal solution and ideal for small businesses and professionals who need basic countertop equipment.
Desjardins Card Services are available throughout Canada.
Is my business name what is reflected on transaction slips? Why is it important that the same name be displayed?
Be sure to provide Desjardins Card Services with the name under which you normally do business, as this is the name that will appear on your clients' statement of account. Your clients may question a transaction if a different name or business number appears on their statement. Clients sometimes request a chargeback if they don't recognize the purchase. To avoid confusion, use the same name everywhere.
As a Desjardins Card Services merchant, you receive a lot of important information from us such as your statements of account, legal documents, special messages, etc. You should alert us of any change made to your merchant file so we are able to contact you at all times.
Should I contact Desjardins Card Services if I sell my business, a partner leaves or my business activity changes?
All of these are good reasons to contact us, as they have an important impact on your merchant file. If you sell your business, for example, Desjardins Card Services must close your merchant account even if the new owner also does business with us. It is therefore important that you contact our Business Customer Service to inform us of any change. We'll be able to make the changes required to your business file so it reflects your status at all times.
Having a Desjardins account is not a requirement to use Desjardins Payment Solutions. You can have an account in any institution and get the same services. However, if you have an account at Desjardins, you save money because you avoid deposit fees at another institution.
Can't find the answer to your question?
Write to us for general inquiries
You can also see our directory.