FAQ – Insurance – Travel insurance

It covers non-refundable expenses up to the insurance amount you've selected if you have to cancel your trip prior to your departure for a reason recognized by the insurer. It also covers the expenses incurred if you have to return to your home province early for a reason recognized by the insurer. Eligible expenses include plane tickets, reasonable living expenses and the unused portion of land arrangements.

The insurer will generally pay the hospital bill directly so you don't have to, though some hospitals may require the patient to pay immediately.

No. Health care expenses incurred outside your home province are often higher than the maximum set by your provincial health insurance plan, which is why we offer Emergency Health Care coverage.

It's any injury or medical condition for which, in the reference period:

  • New symptoms appeared or the existing symptoms were more frequent or more intense
  • You consulted a physician (except for a routine check-up)
  • A physician recommended that you undergo a test, you underwent a test or you are waiting for the results
  • You had surgery, were hospitalized or a physician recommended that you have surgery
  • You started a new treatment, including a new drug, or a new treatment was prescribe
  • You had a change in treatment or medication (quantity, frequency or the medication itself) or such a change was prescribed

The exclusion for unstable injuries or medical conditions applies to Emergency Health Care and Trip Cancellation coverages.

For Emergency Health Care coverage

The reference period is:

  • 3 months before your departure date, if you are 54 or under on that date; or
  • 6 months before your departure date, if you are 55 or older on that date.

For Trip Cancellation coverage

The reference period is 3 months before the Trip Cancellation coverage purchase date.

To submit a claim, go to Claims to file online.

If you become ill while or have an accident outside your home province, you must contact the Travel Assistance Service for approval before going to a hospital or a clinic.

If you fail to call the Travel Assistance Service in advance or you disregard their instructions, you'll have to pay a portion of your expenses.

You can extend your coverage while you're travelling, as long as you ask the insurer before your coverage termination date.

See all questions

Can't find the answer to your question?

AccèsD users

Write to us through your secure AccèsD message box


Write to us for general inquiries