FAQ – Savings and investment – Market-linked guaranteed investment
Returns are calculated based on the appreciation or depreciation of the components with regards to their initial value, in keeping with the calculation method detailed in the investment agreement.
There are no sales or management fees for any market-linked guaranteed investment.
You can cancel the purchase by notifying your caisse in writing within 5 days of receiving your investment agreement by mail or on AccèsD. Your initial deposit will be refunded to you in full and at no charge or interest.
Market-linked guaranteed investments are, in fact, caisse deposits. Returns are therefore taxed the same way as GICs or term savings. Guaranteed investments returns are always considered interest income and not capital gains.
- If the market-linked guaranteed investment is a TFSA or RRSP, returns will not be taxed, just like any other registered investment.
- If it's a non-registered market-linked guaranteed investment with no minimum annual guaranteed return, returns are only known at maturity or when a fixed return option is taken out. Unlike traditional term savings where annual interest is taxed on an annual basis, interest earned on your market-linked guaranteed investment is taxed only the year the return is known.
- In the case of non-registered market-linked guaranteed investment with a minimum annual guaranteed return, interest is taxable annually since the minimum annual guaranteed return is known in advance.
Some market-linked guaranteed investments can be redeemed or converted to another type of investment at specific times during the term. Be aware, however, that this option has a negative impact on potential returns.
Yes, market-linked guaranteed investments are covered up to $100,000 by deposit insurance. - External link. This link will open in a new window.Learn more about deposit insurance
You can track the return of your market-linked guaranteed investments by following these steps:
- Log in to - External link. This link will open in a new window.AccèsD on your desktop
- Click on Savings and investments, then click on the Options button located on the right of the investment for which you want to track performance
- Click on Information and returns
If you don't use AccèsD, you can access the tool on - Lien externe au site. Cet hyperlien s'ouvrira dans une nouvelle fenêtre.desjardins.com/returntracker. You'll need to enter the investment issue date, term and segment.
A few days before your market-linked guaranteed investments reach maturity, you'll receive a Notice of maturity in your Secure AccèsD mailbox or by mail. You can take this opportunity to review your investment needs.
Can't find the answer to your question?