A financial cooperative with deep roots in the community, Caisse Desjardins de Pointe-aux-Trembles has 32,626 members. Each caisse member is also a co-owner of the caisse.
Today's Caisse Desjardins de Pointe-aux-Trembles is the result of the merger of the Le Pointelier (1984), Deux-Rivières (1997) and Montréal-Est (2001).
It was founded in 1944 by Roméo McDuff and 30 other citizens.
On March 22, 1944, 30 Pointe-aux-Trembles residents gathered in the basement of the St-Enfant-Jésus church to found Caisse Desjardins de Pointe-aux-Trembles. The first board of directors was elected, consisting of Roméo McDuff, president, Lucien Lamarche, vice-president, Roger Séguin, manager, as well as Gaston Hinton, Olaus Latendresse, Arsène Lacroix, Joseph Boisclair, Horace Pelletier and Jean Martel, managers.
The first caisse office was installed in Roger Séguin's home, at 56 boulevard Saint-Jean-Baptiste. The location was blessed on May 2 and the caisse opened its doors. The first deposits amounted to $102 in share capital and $67 in savings. The manager's office was equipped with a counter, a shelf and a drawer (after he had used his wife's ironing board for a week).
Now, 75 years after its founding, Caisse Desjardins de Pointe-aux-Trembles plays a leading economic and social role in the community.