Budgeting for pet care
Students ages 10 and 11
October and November
Financial and cooperative skills
- Understanding how to plan expenses
- Making a budget and evaluating your financial capacity
- Understanding the importance of saving
- Differentiating between cooperative values
Students use the principles of budgeting to solve a problem.
All the documents you need to carry out this activity are in the right-hand column under Useful links.
Task 1: Caring for a parrot
At the end of this task, students will be able to budget for the costs of caring for a parrot.
- Time required:
- Teaching material:
Caring for a Parrot
(PDF, 4.20 MB)
- Hand out the Caring for a Parrot booklet.
- Read the scenario.
- Have students do the task individually.
- Ask them what they've learned, the challenges and how they overcame them.
Provide grocery store circulars for this task.