As a supporter of the principles of the International Co-operative Alliance, Desjardins Group has always been an advocate of long-term development that balances the 3 dimensions of sustainable development: economic, social and environmental.
Accordingly, Desjardins adopted a sustainable development commitment policy to provide a framework for our efforts in terms of products and services, management practices and socio-economic leadership.
Environmental protection is a key factor of our sustainable development commitment policy. To put this commitment into action, Desjardins has implemented various initiatives.
Alternative Transportation Program
Desjardins Group has adopted its Alternative Transportation Program to encourage its employees to avoid traveling alone by car when commuting between work and home or for local or regional business travel.
It aims to reduce the transportation-related ecological footprint by highlighting the resulting health benefits for all concerned.
The Alternative Transportation Program includes 4 components:
- Encourage the use of public transit (train, bus, metro, ferry)
- Facilitate carpooling
- Encourage active transportation (walking, biking, jogging, inline skating, etc.)
- Change professional commuting habits for local or regional business travel to avoid travelling alone by car, by using technological tools (video conferencing or teleconferencing)
Alternative transportation is beneficial for everyone
- improve their health and quality of life thanks to physical activity
- reduce stress
- reduce commuting-related costs
- gain a feeling of pride by taking concrete action with respect to their personal values about health and the environment
- benefits from better air and environmental quality thanks to the reduction of pollution, noise and traffic congestion
Desjardins supports transportation electrification by committing to installing 200 electric vehicle charging stations across Quebec and Eastern Ontario. By adding these stations in regions of its caisse network that have little recharging infrastructure, Desjardins is encouraging the adoption of hybrid and electric vehicles and allowing people to contribute to the transition to clean energy.