You are here: Home> Personal > Voyageurs Credit Union (Sudbury, Oshawa, Toronto, Mississauga, Midland, Coniston, Aurora, Thunder Bay) > About the caisse
A financial cooperative with deep roots in the community, Voyageurs Credit Union (Sudbury, Oshawa, Toronto, Mississauga, Midland, Coniston, Aurora, Thunder Bay) has 22,000 members. Each Caisse member is also a co-owner of the Caisse. Find out more about caisse operations.
Learn more about your caisse's mission and vision (PDF, 1.26 MB) - This link will open in a new window..
Following the merger with Caisse populaire Coniston on January 1, 2015, the Caisse's name has been changed to Caisse populaire Voyageurs inc. The Caisse also acquired State Farm Credit Union, effective January 1, 2016.
Caisse populaire des Voyageurs was founded on January 1, 2009, as a result of the merger of Caisse populaire Lasalle and Caisse populaire Nolin de Sudbury Inc. Jean-Marc Spencer is the first executive director. In June 2008, the members of the 2caisses gathered for 2 separate general meetings and voted overwhelmingly in favour of the merger in respective proportions of 99% and 90%.
Caisse populaire Lasalle Inc. was created on October 24, 1954, when a dozen people gathered together with Édouard Adam to study the cooperative movement. At the first general meeting on April 24, 1955, an official request for a charter was made. The first election took place at that time, resulting in the election of Paul Émile Mignault as president and Jean-Paul Picard as part-time executive director. In 1955, on the Caisse's first anniversary, it held $557.23 in assets and had 28 members.
On January 29, 1956, the Caisse authorized $25.00 loans with $0.25 interest. At the time, the Caisse's office was located in the basement of École Immaculée-Conception. On November 11, 1970, the Board of Directors hired the first full-time executive director, Conrad Pelletier. In 1987, the first ATM in Sudbury was installed at Caisse populaire Lasalle. In 1993, the Caisse purchased a building, a former IGA store located at 1380 Lasalle Boulevard, and moved in after some major renovations.
In 1998, the Toronto Service Centre, sponsored by Caisse populaire de Welland and the Fédération des caisses populaires de l'Ontario, was transferred under the direction of the Caisse populaire Lasalle. In 2001, following many requests made by French-speakers in the Oshawa region and an offer from the National Bank, the Caisse purchased the bank's 2 branches in Sudbury and Oshawa in 2001.
In 2004, after a merger with Caisse populaire de Lafontaine, 2 service centres were added to Caisse Lasalle, one in Lafontaine and the other in Perkinsfield.
At the end of 2008, before its merger with Caisse Nolin, Caisse populaire Lasalle was the largest caisse in the Sudbury region, with $234,630,156 in assets, over $562,978,100 in managed business volume and over $1,486,618 in surplus earnings. It had 9,735 members.
Caisse populaire Nolin de Sudbury Inc. was legally created on May 1, 2001, with the merger of Caisse populaire Sainte-Anne and Caisse populaire St-Jean-de-Brébeuf.
Caisse populaire Sainte-Anne started with a provisional committee from Sainte-Anne Parish that organized a study group for the cooperative movement. In 1944, members of the study group took the decision to start a caisse populaire. On February 5, 1945, in the back corner of Sainte-Anne's Parish hall, Caisse populaire Sainte-Anne was founded and thus became the first caisse populaire to open its doors in Sudbury. The president and founder was Roméo Dignard, and Edouard Adam was the first executive director. The Caisse ended its first fiscal year on December 31, 1945 with $1,863 in assets.
On September 28, 1958, Caisse populaire Sainte-Anne took possession of a new building situated on Ignace Street. In 1970, the Caisse relocated to offices at 190 Larch Street. On its 25th anniversary, Caisse Sainte-Anne becomes the owner of Caisse populaire St-Eugène, created in 1953. By the end of fiscal year, Caisse Sainte-Anne had assets of $21,100,000.
On December 31, 2000, Caisse Sainte-Anne, before the merger with Caisse St-Jean-de-Brébeuf, had assets of $35,116,900. During its 56 years of existence, Caisse populaire Sainte-Anne distinguished itself by helping other caisses in the region and by being very involved in the community.
On April 26, 1949, Caisse populaire St-Jean-de-Brébeuf was founded under the leadership of Omer Legault and with the determination of 300 members of the community who strongly believed in the cooperative movement. On May 16, 1949, the Caisse opened its doors in its first office at 292 King Street. In its first annual report, covering the period May 16 to December 31, 1949, the Caisse had assets of $26,216 and close to 500 members. The first chairman of the board was Henri Lapalme and the first part-time executive director was Louis-Philippe Barrette, while Arthur Pharand became the first full-time executive director in 1953.
With a rapid pace of development, the Caisse had already reached $527,069 in assets by 1957. In order to respond to demand, the Caisse bought a building and moved to 531 Notre-Dame Avenue. On March 10, 1961, Caisse St-Jean-de-Brébeuf became the first million dollar caisse in Northern Ontario.
In May 1974, the Caisse celebrated its 25th anniversary, had 4,000 members and assets of $7,500,000. In 1989, Caisse La Toussaint and Caisse St-Jean-de-Brébeuf merged in order to better serve the Minnow Lake region. In 1999, the Caisse celebrated its 50th anniversary with over 7,300 members and $71,000,000 in assets.
On December 31, 2000, Caisse St-Jean-de-Brébeuf, before the merger with Caisse Sainte-Anne, had assets of $74,089,000 and a strong reserve of $13,017,300. During its 52 years of existence, Caisse St-Jean-de-Brébeuf demonstrated its cooperative values by being active in the community and by showing that money should always be at the service of people, never the other way around.
After its first fiscal year on December 31 2001, Caisse Nolin's assets were at $108,471,428. The first president was Robert Boucher, while Mr. Raymond held the position of executive director until June 2001, followed by Marc Lefebvre. On December 31, 2008, Caisse Nolin, before the merger with Caisse Lasalle, had 7,509 members, assets of $138,906,538, $342,929,600 in managed business volume and a solid financial reserve of $10,619,801, one of the highest among the Ontario caisse network.
Watch a video about the caisse's history and success:
(9 min 53 s)
The information provided here is for demonstration purposes only, and is not a substitute for a professional advice.
Before making investment decisions, you are advice to speak with your caisse advisor ou your account manager at a Desjardins Business centre.
The information contained in this section should in no way be considered an advice or a recommendation by Desjardins Securities Inc.or Disnat.