Learning about money
Students ages 6 and 7
May or October
3 hours and 30 minutes
Area of learning:
- Environment and consumption
Financial and cooperative skills
- Learning the value of Canadian coins and bills
- Recognizing Canadian money
- Making a purchase under a certain amount
Students learn to calculate the value of coins and bills and make purchases under that amount.
Task 1 Buying items at the school store
At the end of this task, students will be able to recognize and calculate the value of coins and bills, and establish a link with items for sale in the school store.
- Time required:
- Teaching material:
- At the Store! (PDF, 854 KB)
- Hand out the At the Store! sheet to students.
- Ask students to perform the task.
- Go over it as a group and discuss the students' ideas.
Read the evaluation grid on the At the Store! sheet to evaluate the students and their understanding of the 4 skills.