Studying the history of money
Students ages 8 and 9
March and April
6 hours and 30 minutes
Financial and cooperative skills
- Understanding the history of money
- Understanding member roles and relationships
Students learn about the history of payment and trade, from bartering times onward.
Task 1: Money through the ages
At the end of this task, students will recognize key moments in the history of money on a timeline, from bartering to debit cards.
- Time required:
- Suggested links:
La monnaie du Canada (in French only)
- Have a discussion with students to gauge their knowledge about the history of money.
- Project the Radio-Canada website in class to present the history of money.
- Examples of questions to ask:
- How did people acquire goods?
- How did they pay for goods?
- How do we pay for goods today?
- The Currency Museum website features a large collection of Canadian coins, tokens and bank notes. Suggest that teams of students explore the National Currency Collection.