Management of environmental and social risks
- Responsible citizenship
- Committed to our stakeholders
- Distinctive products and services
- Contributing to environmental protection
Distinctive products and services
Management of environmental and social risksBusiness credit
Desjardins conducts an environmental risk analysis when assessing business credit risk, which involves looking at the risks associated with operating a business, i.e.:
- its business segment
- its ability to manage environmental risks
- its operating characteristics
If the information collected from the company is insufficient, Desjardins verifies its environmental compliance. In some cases, a Phase 1 environmental site assessment is required before the company can obtain financing. The purpose of this assessment is essentially to identify real or potential contamination risk indicators on a site.
For the agricultural sector, environmental compliance is verified by obtaining:
- an agro-environmental fertilization plan (for businesses in Quebec)
- a nutrient management strategy or plan (for businesses in Ontario)
All products or projects in our property and casualty insurance sector deemed to have high-impact social or environmental risks are subject to a risk analysis.
In addition, our actuarial services sector includes climate-change scenarios in its annual dynamic capital-adequacy testing to evaluate the impact of a number of climatic events.